Widely recognized as the leading eco-friendly choice for decks and deck railings, Trex has always been at the forefront of the green building industry. As a proud member of the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC), Trex collaborates with leaders from every sector of the building industry to transform the way buildings and communities are designed, built and operated with the goal of creating environmentally- and socially-responsible spaces that improve the quality of life for everyone.
Trex also works to educate the nation’s youth about the importance of recycling and a sustainable world. Through its annual Trex School Recycling Challenge, Trex engages thousands of students across the country in a friendly competition to see who can collect and recycle the most plastic bags, wrap and film packaging for a chance to win Trex products for their schools. The challenge begins each year on America Recycles Day (November 15) and ends just in time for Earth Day (April 22).
Trex has received numerous environmental awards, including:
- 2023 Award of Excellence, Chicago Public Relations Society of America Skyline Award for Best Influencer Marketing: Trex’s Lowe’s and The Home Depot influencer efforts
- Green Builder magazine's Readers' Choice award for "Greenest" decking (11 consecutive years) - a testament to our commitment to responsible construction, from the people who know it better than anyone.
- The Home Depot's "Environmental Vendor of the Year" (2016)
- Norfolk Environmental Action Award (2016)
- The GAIA Award in the fall of 2014 for our eco-friendly decking. The Middle East's premiere awards program honors sustainable and eco-friendly building products and manufacturers.
- The E-3 Green Company Executive Award from Pennsylvania-based Emerald Asset Management for CEO Ron Kaplan’s leadership and commitment to excellence.
- 2013 Green Award from Washingtonian magazine, which recognizes citizens, companies and organizations in the DC metro area that are working to improve the environment and encourage eco-friendly living.
- The Governor of Virginia's Environmental Award for "impressive tonnage of recycled grocery bags and pallet wrap kept out landfill"
- Connecticut College's Inherit the Earth Gold Medal for "demonstrating that business can be profitable, while meeting the needs of environmental sustainability"
- The Governor of Virginia's Environmental Excellence First-Place Award for "Outstanding Environmental Projects" (twice received)
- Winslow Management Company's Green Award for companies that positively contribute to both the environment and their shareholders
- The "Excellence in Plastics Recycling" award from the Society of Plastic Engineers Recycling Division
- Trex is the first company in the wood-alternative decking industry to receive an International Code Council Evaluation Service® (ICC-ES)* SAVE Verification for Recycled Content. This independent third party verification confirms that, with a minimum of 95.4% recycled content, Trex composite products really are as green as it gets
- In 2015, 66 benches were awarded to winning schools that collected 170,135 lbs of plastic film. That’s approximately 12,760,146 grocery bags put to better use in making Trex decking.
- In conjunction with Trees for the Future, one tree is planted for every piece of Trex Outdoor Furniture sold. More than 22,000 trees have been planted through this partnership.
See all awards